Saturday, January 6, 2018

Armoire Tag Tutorial

As promised...here is the tutorial for the Armoire Tag...

A #10 tag size is usually 7 1/4 x 3 5/8 for this tag I had to make it a little larger. 


I cut a piece of chipboard to 8 1/2 x 4 1/8 (This way I could keep it for future reference on a key ring with several other sizes) I traced the image twice on kraft cardstock and cut the two pieces out with a paper trimmer. (Do not punch the hole in the top)

Using a Stampin Up! punch (Decorative Label), I punched the bottom of the tag in the center and only inserted the punch half way. This gave the look of dresser feet.

Next, with a ruler and pencil, I drew a rectangle 3/4 of an inch from the top that measured 3 x 4 7/16 

The length of the rectangle does not have to be 4 7/16 it could also be 4 3/8, whichever is easiest to achieve.

The dotted lines will be scored and the solid lines will be cut with an exacto knife and metal edge ruler. The cut will look like an "I"

After the opening was complete, I drew the dresser drawers at 3/4" x 3 1/2. No cutting here, just lines so I knew where I would put the drawers. 

Next, cut a 1" x 3" strip. Score at 1/2 inch and add scor-tape on both sides. Set aside.

Use your score board to score on the outside edges and erase any pencil lines if desired. Close the "doors" by adding painters tape to the back

I stamped with a background stamp I had in my stash that is retired from Stampin Up! Any wood grain stamp would work. The ink I used was Ground Expresso Distress Ink.

After stamping, I cut 2 strips out of Kraft cardstock that measured 4 x 1 1/8 and 2 more that measured 3 1/2 x 11/16th inches. These will be the layered panels on the opening doors. Another 2 strips that measure 3 1/2 x 3/4 inches for the dresser drawers. (These two pieces were hiding underneath the Armoire when I took the photo...Sorry!) I stamped them with the same background stamp. Using a Tim Holtz blending tool, I added Gathered Twigs and then Brushed Corduroy to the entire piece. I then took the Ground Expresso pad and dragged it from top to bottom in a direct to paper technique. Do the same to the dresser drawers and door panels, as well.

I inked all the edges of the door panels and drawers with black soot using a make up sponge for a more distinct look. I added two brads in the center of the drawers and added foam tape to the back of them. Attach them to the bottom of the opening. The larger door panel has foam tape added to the back and placed in the center of the each door. I glued the smaller piece with my ATG gun and adhered it to the center of the larger one.

I cut two pieces of mirrored cardstock for the inside panels of the door that measured 4 x 1 1/8. Attach with ATG or glue of your choice.

Remove the tape backing from one side of the hinge you created and set aside earlier and attach to the top of one of your tags. 

Remove the second piece and attach the second tag. (I used red tag so you could see how to attach.) You can cut a piece of decorative piece of paper to the inside piece that will be seen from the front when you open the doors. It serves a dual purpose because you can cover the inside hinge with the piece as well. 

There you have it...your own Armoire Tag! If you have any questions, let me know in the comments...I would love to see the one you create 😃 Have a crafty day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment